Over the years we’ve devoted many emails on processes and techniques of acquiring new online customers, but we haven’t spent much time on what can go wrong during their research phase before they make a phone call. Your customers don’t just magically come in from marketing and then call you up!
85% of All Customers Do Research Before Making a Purchase
Between arriving from marketing and calling you, a lot can go wrong. During their research phase everything is like a leaky bucket. Any loss of customers between marketing and the phone call will increase your cost per lead. But more importantly, you can experience a huge opportunity cost. Lost customers during the research phase can result in lost business in the tens of thousands of dollars in a single year!
During the research phase they will find your business on various directory sites and most commonly Google My Business (GMB). Clearly, if your star ratings are low as compared to your competitors you will loose as much as half of all perspective new customers.
Your potential new customers have many choices. During the research step your customers are in critical thinking mode looking for small clues to eliminate prospective suppliers, floating the best choice to the top. Here are some of the things that can cause you to lose prospective new customers:
- Your website or your GMB is only partially filled out
- Your website or GMB is not up-to-date, showing lack of care
- Your website is missing "About Us" – the most frequented page on a business website
- Your website content is confusing, unorganized, or contains grammatical errors
- Your website is missing altogether
- Your website is slow (studies show a slow website can lose 40% of its customers)
- Your website is missing frequently searched information on the home page such as; the phone number, where you’re located, areas of service, years in business, times open, and payment methods accepted
This is just a handful of examples. The list goes on and on.
Give our Support Team a call now at (949) 478-6887 if you have any questions about making sure your business is sound online and new customers have no trouble choosing you for their next project - we're always here to help!