If You're Smiling on the Phone Your Customers Hear It!
You’re completely in control of your customer’s impression of you.
A smile is contagious. And so is your tone of voice when you’re smiling. Smiling while talking makes your voice warmer and friendlier. You’ve probably heard the term “Smile’n and Dial’n”. This is such an effective technique that many telesales rooms put a mirror at every desk so the sales people can see themselves and remember to smile.
In person, your customer can use both your tone and your body language to interpret your message. On the phone, your customer has only your tone and courtesies like pauses to help them decode your message.
But here's the good news!
In person you can’t control how a person sees you, but on the phone, you’re completely in control of your customer’s impression of you.
We all prefer to talk to happy and upbeat people. So here are some tips to help you improve your sales:
82% of Phone Conversations is Non-Verbal
- Smile while speaking – your customers will feel it
- Speak in an upbeat and positive manor – we engage more with upbeat people
- Pause 2 seconds or more after every statement – this extends a courtesy to your customer and will know you care
- If things are tense, get up and walk around while on the phone – this will relax you
- Add family or pet pictures on your desk – this will make you happier and this will show in your tone