There’s always confusion after you’ve spoken to a prospective new customer on the phone as to what to do next. If the customer wants your service, then the logic is that they will call back to hire you. However, we purchase for a myriad of reasons. But most commonly, “we buy from the person that we like and trust.” Building trust can result from consistent follow-ups as well. Surprisingly, your customers actually appreciate your calls! The good news is you don’t have any competition in the follow-up calls! The average number of follow-up calls is 1.3!
The fact is, the calling, emailing and even texting follow-ups are appreciated. This shows the customer that you care and believe that your service will help them. “They don’t care what you know, until they know that you care!” But, don’t be too overzealous. We suggest that you make a follow-up call a day or two after the initial call. And from there twice a week, only leaving a voicemail once a week then sending a SMS and email.
The Process: When you call, if they don’t pick-up hang up and call again. Statistics show the this “double-tap” method will increase the pickup rate 18% on the second call. If the second call goes to voicemail, leave an assumptive and friendly message that you’re here to help them get started with your service. Don’t say, “I’m just checking in”. That’s weak and non-assumptive!
After leaving a voicemail, you can email and text them a similar message like the one you left and let them know you’ve left a voicemail as well.
Sales Follow-Up Statistics:
- 80% of sales require 5 follow-up calls whereas 44% of salespeople give up after one follow-up call.
- 60% of customers say NO 4X before saying YES whereas 48% of salespeople never even make a single follow up attempt.
- 3X is the industry average number of follow-up calls.
- 75% of online buyers want to receive between 2-4 phone calls before a company gives up; 12% would like a company to try as many times as it takes to get a hold of them.
- 70% of salespeople stop at one email. Yet if you send more emails, you’ve got a 25% chance of hearing back.
Most people would think these techniques may “bother” your customer, but the statistics show otherwise!
Give our Support Team a call now at (949) 478-6887 if you have any questions about this or would like any training material - we're always here to help!